SISTER MYTHILI, is born on 10th of September 1947, in Madurai as the granddaughter of Late Sri. A. Vaidyanatha lyer, the veteran freedom fighter, who opened the famous Madurai Meenakshi Temple for Harijans. Her parents Sri. V. Sankaran and Smt. Gouri Sankaran were also eminent social workers.
Though physically handicapped from her childhood, she has been very much interested in the welfare of others. She accepted a challenging job as the Headmistress of Kasthurba National Memorial School after obtaining MSc. B.Ed degree. After taking M.Ed degree she joined Gandhigram.
At Gandhigram she accepted Dr G Ramachandran as her Mentor. This changed the course of her life completely. GR moulded her step by step as a dedicated social worker. GR introduced her to Yogoda Satsanga Society of India.
She is a Yogodan with Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda as her spiritualGuru.
When Dr GR returned to his home town, Neyyattinkara in 1980 at the age of 75, Sister Mythili came with him to take care of him in his old age. She took charge as the Secretary of Madhavi Mandiram Loka Seva Trust founded by GR in his mother Smt Madhavi Tankachi’s name.
She was given the name Sister Mythili, by her Mentor G. Ramachandran who wanted her to shine like Sister Nivedita.
Under the Trust, Sister Mythili organised many programmes for women and children. At present
1. She is the Managing Trustee of The Madhavi Mandiram Loka Seva Trust and Dr GR Public School
2. The Proprietrix of Daya Industry and Hridaya.
3. The Life Trustee of Gandhigram, Madurai.
4. Member of High level Committee of Kerala Handicraft Development Corporation, nominated by the Govt. of Kerala.
5. Patron of Handicapped welfare Association of Kerala.
6. She participated in the World Convocation – 97 organised by the Self Realization Fellowship, founded by Sri Sri Paramahansa Yogananda. She visited Los Angeles, Hollywood, Chicago, New York, New Jersy, Boston, Cambridge etc.
BESTOWED AWARDS AND HONOURS
- Recipient of “JANAKI DEVI BAJAJ AWARD” for Rural Entrepreneurship.
- In 2006 COINPAR PADMASREE M R KURUP ENDOWMENT award instituted by Centre of Indian Consumer Protection and Research.
- Recipient of “INDIA TODAY WOMEN AMWAY AWARD” for Entrepreneurship.
- “EKALAVYA KARMASRESHTA AWARD 2012” for Eduaction and Social works.
- Mrs Ratnamma Mathew foundation bestowed her with “SATHPRATHIBA RATNAM AWARD” in
- In 2014 Sister Mythili was honoured with “VANITHA RATNAM AWARD “ for her social service by Sakhi TV .
- Dr Ambedkar Sadseva Award in 2015 for social service.
- Central Govt. of India honored sister with RAJYA MAHILA RATNAM AWARD 2015 and DESASNEHI title was given by India development foundation.
- Santhigram, in collaboration with five Panchayaths and nine NGOs, honoured Sister Mythili with Women Empowerment Award – VIDYA DEEPAM in 2017